Why do you make maps?
submit to reddit

Page 1
  • I have never quite seen the appeal to it. So I am asking, why do you do it?

Lieutenant
  • 1.It is like music to me. Creation of new ideas, pushing the envelope.

2.Always finding things in other games I would do "differently". Having a great idea that is not in a game that I have played.

3.I get off on people getting off on something I created.

4.It is very fun. I prefer making the games or fixing them rather then playing them. I will sit in front of my comp for longer periods of time if I am working on a map then if I don't have any "fixes" and decide to play.

I have noticed that starting is the hardest part. I will play a lot more other games if my map is in beta.

Lieutenant
  • 1-Becouse im creative in a zombie game theme genre.
    2-Becouse its the only thing i can do and be good at.
    3-Becouse tahts the only thing i ever get respected from.
    4-Becouse i want to add innovation and make ppl forget about 352532 version of impossibles or evolves.
    5-becouse i enjyoe playing my games myself with friends even if general sc public isnt all over my maps, which is a bit dissapointing to me but i can manage.

Corporal
    Battle.net
    Name:
    USS_Cane
    Realm:
    US East
  • As opposed to making games from scratch?
    SC already provides high quality 2d art/animation, and a robust server/client networking system (b.net) with an established player base. So you can focus on the gameplay and not these other components that can take several orders of magnitude more effort than mapmaking.

Why I make games?
    One of these reasons is usually enough:
    - I created a unique gameplay concept that can become a fun game
    - I find a good game I can turn into a great one
    - Someone requested it and it sounds like an interesting project

But in case you were looking for a different kind of answer, something along the lines of "passion", I'd say "As far as the innermost motivation - either you have the gaming bug or you don't."
    - az

Major
    Battle.net
    Name:
    azala[zc]
    Realm:
    US East
  • I do it because it's my artistic "out" I don't draw paint or write, (well outside of mapping) so it's my artsy side fleshing itself out.

I haz custom title
    Battle.net
    Name:
    Shadow_Templar
    Realm:
    US West
  • For me it is really something that adds alot of replay value to the game, and I know making maps isn't really "playing" but I can literally spend hours upon hours working on a map having fun doing it. Also I know I will never be the best SC2 player, and I will never win any tournaments, but if I can make an epic TD like Burbenog or Wintermaul, or even DOTA, thats actually more rewarding to me. and I for one can't wait to see the SC2 map editor, I really hope it has a built in option for you to import your own models and skins, and possibly even use some of your own code.

• The SC2 Editor is a C based language so yes you can code it. /Cheer

Corporal
  • Galaxy is gonna make for more professional mapping in SC2.

Corporal
    Battle.net
    Name:
    Program
    Realm:
    US East
  • Yeah it's More than double the leap that sc to wc3 editors were.

I haz custom title
    Battle.net
    Name:
    Shadow_Templar
    Realm:
    US West
  • a lot of times its cuz i get to like certain maps & then find out its rigged & has cheap strategies. so i make my own & just play that.

(._.)>)>)>)>)>~~
    <erste = 1st >
    Battle.net
    Name:
    Asuka[LF]
    Realm:
    US East
  • I like to make maps to give back to community I enjoy. On top of that it's a lot of fun to try to take an image in your head and morph it into a map.

Sometimes when I'm really bored I'll just go into a map editor and start making what ever comes to mind. Some turn into maps some turn into scrap that I grab stuff from.

I hope the SC2 editor is as limitless as the source SDK :)

• i love creative work, so this is the best way to combinate learning new stuff and gaming :)

Private
  • Lol Phtes in regards to the fact that SC2 is a C based editor... well I found out about that, and decided to take C++ next semester just because of that lol. Kill two birds with one stone: Get college credits, learn how to make retarded awesome maps!

Private
  • nick88389Lol Phtes in regards to the fact that SC2 is a C based editor... well I found out about that, and decided to take C++ next semester just because of that lol. Kill two birds with one stone: Get college credits, learn how to make retarded awesome maps!

I might be doing the same thing

I haz custom title
    Battle.net
    Name:
    Shadow_Templar
    Realm:
    US West
  • i make maps for 1 reason: to serve the gamers!

Lieutenant
  • I just like playing with the tool and trying to get something new out of it.

Private
  • cuz it's fun...

Lieutenant
    Battle.net
    Name:
    jkl381
    Realm:
    US West
  • I am a creative person at heart.
    If given wood, I'd probably build something. xD

I love creating things. :3

Private
  • Its just something that gobbles up my time. Pretty fun actually.

• To test units and their proper counters.
    I'm too pressed for time to actually sit down and develop a map worth playing.

• because...

do i need any more explantion

Corporal
  • guess I dont know

Corporal
  • It's fun to see other people (strangers) playing and talking about your map.

Private
  • @GarenaPlatform, Agreed.

I do it because it's something to do with my time, and very seldom I see a map I like within the standard Blizzard maps...(blah, blah, blah).

In a nutshell, I do it for the other gamers out there.

XoG - Nibbits Moderator - Got any questions? Shoot me an E-mail at xog.nibbits@gmail.com
    XoG 4
    Battle.net
    Name:
    xogstarcraft
    Realm:
    US West
  • 'Cuz its funny to play in my own maps :)

Private
Page 1

New Reply

If you were logged in you would gain 3 XP for posting a reply.

Please respect our terms of use when participating in Nibbits.

Preview
Comment
We will show a masked version of your IP address as well as your name.

Support Nibbits by linking to us: