Feature Requests
submit to reddit

Page 1
  • Got something that Nibbits *needs*. Let us know, and get all your friends to let us know that they want the same thing.

We're very relaxed on development here, as I'm the sole developer (and Nibbits does not make any money, it only eats money), so I typically only add new features when I have time, and when they're demanded.

Anyways, to the point, if demand is high enough I will obviously be putting time and effort into that feature, or that section of the site.

Have feedback about Nibbits.com? Let me know!
    Addict
  • One vote per IP address.

There are a few maps I suspect of being multi-voted by one person. :P

Major
    Battle.net
    Name:
    azala[zc]
    Realm:
    US East
  • I am pretty sure that would already be in effect... or at least its obviously one vote per account and I don't see any reason for people to spam accounts.

I have a feature request, how about an option to upload a screenshot for Projects/Map submitted as my last one submitted the auto/screenshot didn't work but I could save the image from the last version and upload it as the terrain didn't really change much.

Battle.net
    Name:
    -BW-Map_God
    Realm:
    US West
  • Currently, all I want is the return of all preview screens =]

Also, as a minor request (as I think it's easy to do), I think that only maps with at least a fixed number of ratings (say 20) should be listed on the top rated maps. Or else we'll end up like many other sites that have this feature turned into a useless part of the site, since it's filled with 500 pages of maps with 5 stars voted by the map maker and his friends.

Be preparaed for reviews at a whole new level..
    MT Team member
  • The maps on the frontpage aren't just the highest rated, they are the most popular.
    There's a number of factors that are considered, but downloads per day carries the most weight since it's the best measure of a popular map.

Corporal
  • I know, I was referring to the maps in the "Top Rated Maps" page.

MT Team member
  • >> I have a feature request, how about an option to upload a screenshot for Projects/Map submitted as my last one submitted the auto/screenshot didn't work but I could save the image from the last version and upload it as the terrain didn't really change much.

Great idea. This was on my mind as I was comparing SEN and Nibbits - I don't remember if I included it on my emails to dcramer, but allowing more useful gameplay screenshots is definitely a good thing.

>> I am pretty sure that would already be in effect... or at least its obviously one vote per account and I don't see any reason for people to spam accounts.

Not at all obvious. What's your line of reasoning?

Mine? First, I noticed was that the first day overall ratings were available, the two Basewolves maps almost immediately got 5 ratings and every other top 10 map got a 1 rating. Tampering? Almost certainly.

Second, given the overall (poor) quality of the Basewolves map, the number of 5-votes it received, and comparing it to other maps of equal and greater quality, I simply suspect something is up. Not accusing anyone yet, but I'd like to at least verify the IP addresses of the voters to make sure.

Third, you would be surprised what people will do for attention. There's significant spam that we delete that, in some way or another, attempts to influence public perception of a map.

Major
    Battle.net
    Name:
    azala[zc]
    Realm:
    US East
  • I know, I was referring to the maps in the "Top Rated Maps" page."

Oh, my bad. I didn't even know such a page existed.

Corporal
  • That's the idea of this site, have multiple versions of everything. People can organize versions by creating a Project.

btw, I don't speak by the Admin, only for myself.

MT Team member
  • Ya we won't support changing or removing versions of a map (except on a case-by-case basis, but usually not).

The concept is to simply host maps as you would see people randomly hosting them on Battle.net. We just allow another way to download them.

Addict
  • Custom Lists of maps. (like Amazon's Listmania)

With the massive number of maps on the site you run the risk of information overload - how else are you going to find good maps without recommendation lists?

Major
    Battle.net
    Name:
    azala[zc]
    Realm:
    US East
  • don't we already have a "top rated maps" for that?

MT Team member
  • Obviously, I was implying that Top Rated Maps is not doing its job - I find it rather useless at picking good maps.

Maybe over time (more participation in rating system) it can change, but with the sheer amount of maps on the site and the rate at which they're uploaded, I doubt it.

That, and custom lists are rather simple, low-overhead data structures that have the potential to solve that problem.

Major
    Battle.net
    Name:
    azala[zc]
    Realm:
    US East
  • oh yeah, with that I agree. Top rated maps is useless now.

if it's simple enough to be added, these custom lists sound great, but I wouldn't recommend it if the effort to code is too much.

MT Team member
  • It would be nice if changes were instant rather than going through pending changes when you are editing maps in your own projects.

Corporal
  • devilesk, once I get time to implement ownership on maps (which would require going through pending changes to get it approved) they would be instant. Right now moderators skip the queue, and it'd be the same process if you were a map owner.

Addict
  • I may switch to a karma system I designed on another site. The "highest rated" just doesn't work all that well.

Basically, your votes would be on a karma scale, being positive or negative. So a 1-star or 2-star might be a -2 and a -1, where a 3-star is a 0, 4-star is +1, and 5-star is +2. Then all maps start at 0(N) (which is basically neutral but a large weighting).

This makes it so that a map that has many more ratings can rank much higher than a map with fewer, but higher scoring ratings.

Addict
  • The current ratings should be taken out as of the moment. It's too unreliable and is subject to tampering

• Well that's the issue HokageNinja, any system is really subject to tampering. The only improvement I can see is locking out accounts that match each other so only one of them can vote, but then what if you're sharing machines/networks. Right now it's fairly locked down, but people could still create multiple accounts.

The idea is that we will simply ban people who rate 90% of things down, and 10% up (e.g. random author who wants his map higher). And we'll ban the ip so that they aren't rating on other accounts.

Addict
  • Do you disable multiple votes on a map by a single IP? If not, that's a fairly obvious way to mitigate the problem. Of course people can run around it, but it works well enough that I think it's significantly valuable.

Oh, and did you get my email from July 3? It's rather important.

Major
    Battle.net
    Name:
    azala[zc]
    Realm:
    US East
  • I don't think you can vote a map multiple times with the same ip currently. I had tried it and it doesn't work for me. so, I think the rating is fair. so far the only thing I don't like is the missing of those map preview pictures.. :(

Anonymous
    115.133.160.xxx
  • To dcramer, did your system capture which account, what IP address voted which maps? I think you can just track the log files and see which accounts are actually belongs to the same IP and voted the same map with same rating, and then just ban those accounts and IP and clear those ratings.. so, it won't be any issue anymore right?

Anonymous
    115.133.160.xxx
  • Ya we capture IP addresses on everything. It makes it easy for a human to look at something and be like "well this is OBVIOUSLY the same person".

Right now though, there is no routine that says "watch for people that are griefing other maps and just promoting their own". That's what I want to build.

And no, it doesn't block multiple votes from a single IP address, at least, not in that fashiong. However, it's not going to let you vote on a map more than once. There's a bit of logic but it's not black and white.

Addict
  • Seems there's still some minor bugs on the forums with forwarding to the correct page as well.

Azala I did ban that IP, but I will be setting you guys up with access so you can manage the bans and whatnot soon.

Addict
  • For all maps that are part of a project, there should be links to the project's page, so people can check for newer maps in the project with greater ease :D

Sergeant
    Battle.net
    Name:
    NightChime
    Realm:
    US West
Page 1

New Reply

If you were logged in you would gain 3 XP for posting a reply.

Please respect our terms of use when participating in Nibbits.

Preview
Comment
We will show a masked version of your IP address as well as your name.

Support Nibbits by linking to us: