If you were logged in you would gain 3 XP for posting a reply.

Please respect our terms of use when participating in Nibbits.

Preview
Comment
We will show a masked version of your IP address as well as your name.

You are replying to:

• Note: this post and the following two posts are also an answer to the thread: http://www.nibbits.com/sc/forums/6/view/84/

I think Wiki approach is the best.

How I see the solution:
    The wiki-like field named "authors" should contain *those and only those* authors which are specified in the map itself (probably not only in map's description though), or an "anonymous authour" if not specified. Initially, (when the map is discovered) the field should contain "no author specified yet" which differs from the "anonymous author". "Anonymous author" should be used only when the field is edited by a human who is sure there is no author info in the map. There should be a search by the author field and especially search for maps with the "no author specified yet" value to help people wishing to contribute nibbits.

Once more, the authors field contains only (nick)names specified in the map *regardless* they are true or not and filled by humans.

When one wants to report the map stealing fact the proposed "based off" function comes in. I see the "based off" function as some kind of set of relations connecting various map files (I intentionally use more narrow term then the "map"). A map file could be "based off" various map files in different ways, but before I continue with the description of particular types of a "based off" relation, I introduce a *similarity* relation.

Two map files are called "similar" when their terrain or triggers (or both) are similar in common sense. The human's work is to estimate the similarity of map files. Looking forward, unlike determining authors, the maps similarity based on terrain and triggers compairison could be done automatically, but is somewhat more difficult and presents a seperate problem.

"I bet at this stage we could code a better Starcraft engine from scratch ourselves. :P" - Tuxlar
    Major
    Battle.net
    Name:
    wormer
    Realm:
    US East

Support Nibbits by linking to us: